|
This has been an awesomely crazy week :D
Stand Up Take Action in RJC has been a blast so far; I think what really made it a blast was the immense support we had from everyone in school :D I'm just so glad! Friday 17th october was the international pledge day to stand up against poverty, and it was a huge pity that we couldn't hold the pledge-taking session during assembly to secure mass support. But it was just so comforting and inspiring when I walked into the amphitheatre at 12.30pm to see the entire place filled full of people ready to take the pledge omg :D I was really really awed. Really shows that all of us have a big big heart and we are willing to Stand Up and make sure our voices do not go unheard!
So to whoever who reads this, if you have taken the pledge / taken a photo for the countdown clock / visited the Coalition of Aid Fair / bought a Make Poverty History band / bought a Stand Up badge / ordered a shirt / signed up for the Open Mic session / donated rice for the rice drive / left your handprint on the banner / signed up to be a volunteer, THANK YOU SO SO MUCH BECAUSE YOU ROCK AND YOU'RE GONNA SHAKE THE WORLD BECAUSE OF WHAT YOU DID :D
And the following, essentially, is what went on over the past few weeks of Stand Up!

The banner! It was quite funny how we got it done initially - I ran out of cloth after I painted RAFFLES then I went to arab street with tingzhang to find another piece of cloth. Mingzhe suggested that we find this shop called Teng Joo Textiles but after a complete hour of wandering around arab street searching for Teng Joo (and getted spied on by dubious RJ teachers who were driving around Bugis in a small car hahaha), we still didn't manage to find it. In the end we found a shop called GHIM JOO TEXTILES and we bought a piece of cloth for $9, as compared to naomi's initial $20 for the first piece of cloth. NAOMI YOU GOT SCAMMED! But yes it was really fun anyway hahah we finished painting and started handprinting :D
Here's the completed banner, hung above the announcement area woohoo!

The floor decals! Vinna got them printed very nicely and they're wonderfully professional yay :D


It was quite funny too because the second floor decal initially had a really striking typo. It read 'STAND UP TAKE ACTION AGAINST POVERTY AND INQUALITY.' And we didn't notice it for an entire weekend after we pasted the floor decal on the tiled floor and felt very happy about getting it done hahah. Then eventually we realized after an entire weekend passed.

The lanterns! They were pretty fun to make :D Haha then I proceeded to line all the light bulbs while jiayun audrey and hongjie decided to camwhore with them!

Eventually they were hung up and they are marvellousssss :D

The coalition of aid fair was wonderful too! It was certainly more major than any other fair previously held at the canteen entrance and what was even more wonderful was that loads of people came down to view the booths and buy bands/badges and take photos for the countdown clock!




Then on friday we were at the indochine, clarke quay for the official opening ceremony of the stand up countdown clock, selling stand up t-shirts as well as the anti-poverty bands. The place was pretty unique - probably converted from one of those old shophouses, and recreated to give off a rather ancient chinese dynastic feel.

In fact in the day it looks like some dilapidated temple in the middle of clarke quay - no wonder I never noticed it when I walked by, so many times! At night it just transforms into this pseudo-ancient china hotspot with flashing lights and cool music. I didn't really like it when they started to release this funny mist all over the place and when they placed aromatic incense sticks around the area, but haha I guess that's what makes it interesting!


John Chan from Plain Sunset came to perform!

A huge wall of these light thingies whose name I can never remember somehow. To measure the sound of music.

The opening ceremony!

We sold a lot a lot of t-shirts :D and a lot of bands! I'm so glad.
My dinner was an interesting one; I landed myself with 5-6 hot dogs because there was surplus (turns out we bought a lot more food than required), and I managed to gulp down about 4 while giving the other 2 away. Then I reached home before midnight with my flu slowly creeping back to my nose and fell asleep rather immediately when I turned in.
And yes, so ends the week; Stand Up will continue next week with Open Mic sessions, Movie Screenings, and a continuation of the Fair, Sanitation Project, Rice Drive and sales! EVERYONE KEEP COMING DOWN TO STAND UP AGAINST POVERTY OKAY!
Today, today, today. Today was a uniquely refreshing day; I woke up at 9am to the nice view of the Singapore Flyer from a window! I had a hotel stayover at the Conrad Centennial the previous night. Soon after I enjoyed a rather hearty breakfast at suntec before taking on an afternoon of strolling, shopping and just unwinding.

Life is a piece of cake... and a cup of coffee!
And yes today I managed to get Ne-Yo's latest album, Year Of The Gentleman! I'm really really glad; I've set my eyes on this album months ago and finally I got it (almost for free at HMV, thanks to one of dad's credit card promotions again haha).


It's not just any other album; the songs in this one are really great. Still popular, yet also with a touch of sincerity and earnestness. And also, Year Of The Gentleman speaks about those times 'where you couldn't walk out of your house unless you looked your best', lending strength from the past R&B giants like Nat King Cole and the Rat Pack. "They're suited and everything is right from top to bottom. Not saying it has to be a suit, 'cause clothes don't make the man — it's the attitude and person."
And I agree - this album speaks of style, yet speaks volume too. Definitely shallower than the likes of Corrinne May but this is a whole different level altogether!
IT'S DOOMSDAY MONDAY TOMORROW! Let's be steady and await our results.
The prospect of it is really scary. But I just want to say that I'm ready, even if I'm not. I will be!
|